Sunday, January 3, 2016

My natural Hair Obessession

Its no secret that I have a strange relationship with the threads on my head. I have had every hairstyle I could think of accept dying my hair blue. My new obsession is with trying to keep my hair natural, and so far, so good.

Now for those of you who don't have a kink in your hair, this may seem a little strange to you, but in our culture it is the norm to 'Relax' ones hair at a very young age. Simple Explanation:

A relaxer is a type of lotion or cream generally used by people with tight curls or very curly hair which makes hair easier to straighten by chemically "relaxing" the natural curls. The active agent is usually a strong alkali, although some formulations are based on ammonium thioglycolate instead.
Wikipedia

I remember my first relaxer and how it came about. I have an older 'brother' who lived with us for a few years. When he moved out and decided to get married, I was sure to be the flower girl at the wedding. I was to wear a bright yellow dress with a huge bow on it and my hair was to be set in locked curls. With my hair being exposed to very little chemicals at my tender age, it was very difficult for the stylist to curl my hair, and by the time the ceremony was over, my hair had gone back to its natural state, bushy, and all over the place. I remember being so annoyed with my hair flying all over the place and climbing on the jungle gym with that poofy yellow dress was horrible. My mother then had no other choice but to try to tame my hair and gave it its very fist mild relaxer not long after the wedding.

Now, I don't really mind relaxer, it makes my hair easy to manage and it grows a lot faster that way. I fact, I was relaxing my hair into 2014 without any real issues. Colouring my hair is also something I love to do. I am known for cutting my hair short every few years and never get tired of styling my hair in any kind of way.

Last year I came across a group of people that is now steadily growing who chose to keep their hair as natural as possible. Knowing me, I had to find out more and read every blog and bit of information I could get my hands on. I am now so into it that I regularly post images on my Instagram with the things I have tried and am pleasantly surprised at how easy this has gotten. My hair generally grows slower than most peoples so the only down side to going completely natural is the wait for long lushes locks to appear. In the mean time I will keep experimenting and following the routine I was sent by natural hair blogger Eleanor J'dore who has maintained and grown her beautiful locks naturally and has some amazing tips for natural hair care.

A few other blogs to note are:
My Fro and I
Natural Sisters
ForChic
and African Hair Blog

Hopefully My sister and I will be getting our fingers into some Products this year, but for now we are testing out everything we can and by the end of the year I will have some great tips and pictures to share of our Hair escapades :)

To see some of what I have been doing you will find me on Instagram: @mjaylady

Mwah


No comments: