Thursday, November 19, 2015

Living Low Carb/Banting

Since we are back to banting and a few people have asked me about it in the last few days, I thought I would share what we are doing.

Last year I did a lot of research on Banting because it was making a lot of noise in my circles. Every blog or article that came my way yeilded  a lot of information about Banitng, when it started and how it was done. We then bought the first edition of the Real Meal Revolution written by Prof Tim Noakes and found the information in the book very informative. The recipes in the book were wonderfull and tasty, but not sustainable on a budget that had to feed my family of six and my live in helper. I then found Low Carb Living for Families written by Monique le Roux Forslund and loved how it was structured so well for families. It did however not help when it came to finances either as many of the recipes were not recipes that I could necessarily afford.

Later in 2014 we abandoned Banting as financially we were not in a place to support it and bread was the literally the only thing we could afford for a good two months.


After losing almost 10kg Banting, all the weight piled back on and we slipped into our horrible eating ways when our financial status started looking better.

Hubby and I have been talking about returning to Banting for good for some time but we knew that we would have to make it work financially and that when financially hard times hit, we would still be able to sustain the lifestyle. Then this week I found a book sale that sold both the new Edition of The Real Meal Revolution and Real Food Healthy Happy Children by Kathy Megaw and chose to purchase the latter. Her book is not necessarily Banting and does not have any association with Prof Tim Noakes,

I have no regrets. She writes recipes that we make all the time but the low carb, no sugar versions of them. Hubby reads recipes and then tweaks them to his liking and as far as I can tell, he is enjoying the recipes in this book far more then the other two. There are 100 recipes in this book which cover everything including yummy desserts. The Bread I posted about a few days ago was so simple to make and it was AMAZING. So amazing in fact that when I got home from work the following day, it was finished.

I am still reading the book, but so far, I am excited that I can create and entire meal list for about a month and not feel a huge hole in my pocket because of it.

There is however one thing I wish I could find which I have been searching for for years. A Low Carb recipe book with a monthly shopping list that is budget friendly, I would become close friends with the writer of that book in a hurry :)

Mwah

No comments: